Monday, February 21, 2011

Getting outside

I never expected to go so long without posting. But, you see, I just couldn't help it. Because late last week, we enjoyed temperatures in the 70's. That's right. 70's. In February.

To say it was amazing would be a complete understatement. We spent every second we could outside and we loved it.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
These pictures are so over-exposed, but I just can't help lovin' them.

Mike and I have a little tradition that started before Will was even a figment of our imagination. On the first warm day of the season, we take a day off and go to the zoo. I love the zoo.

Normally we go to the one in DC, but having to drive in and out of the city on a Friday afternoon is enough to induce panic and anxiety. Luckily I talked Mike into driving to Richmond instead.

It was our first time at the Richmond Zoo and I have mixed feelings about it. So much so, that I debated whether or not to post pictures of our afternoon there. But you should know, I'm HIGHLY sensitive about animal issues. For instance, we make regular donations to animal causes and will NEVER attend a circus. Also, it might be worth noting that I have, in fact, called Animal Control on an elementary school because their rabbits looked cold. See? I'm kind of a weirdo. Feel free to ignore me.

This particular zoo is literally someone's backyard. To me, it totally gave off a "I'm going to put up some cages, buy some exotic animals, and charge people to come see them" vibe. But Mike told me I was being a tad dramatic, so I decided to share just a few pictures after all.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Mike took this picture and I couldn't love it more. (Edited to add: I just noticed the eye goop. Ewwwwwwwwwww!)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This series of pictures really make me laugh. Little baby climbing, dangling himself right above his Momma, being such an instigator. Then Momma deciding enough was enough and snatching his little butt down. All while Daddy just looks on.

Kind of reminds me of another little monkey I know.Photobucket
Photobucket

Hello, cool, new, light-up Toy Story sneakers.
Photobucket
Photobucket

On Saturday night, Lindsay came over to baby-sit, and Mike and I had a beautiful dinner out. It was our first restaurant meal as a two-some since September 2009. It was amazing. We had drinks at the bar, ordered steaks, and had some cheesecake for dessert. The time away as a couple was so refreshing, it had us asking, "Why, again, did we wait so long to do this?"

Look at us all dressed up for a night on the town--
Photobucket

Wait - what's that? Huh. Funny, I hadn't even noticed.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Aaahhhh...I'm so sorry you were disappointed!! I liked that you can get up close to the critters. You would absolutely detest the zoo here. And I'm with you...Peanut will not be attending the circus.

Ashley said...

We spent a lot of time outside last week too! So refreshing after the snow storms and cold! Your zoo trip LOOKS fun and I'm glad you guys got to get out! We're always asking ourselves the same thing!

Katherine said...

We are too much alike. I totally got a fraternity in college in trouble for not taking care of thier rabbit. . .they didn't like me much, but I KNOW the bunny's quality of life improved :)

LOVE the giraff pic of the three of you (no one else noticed the goop ;) and the pic of Will and the little bird. Also, I know you know that I 'get' loving pictures that aren't quite perfect. Did that make sense?

Rebecca said...

You know we are family when.... my roommate and I saved a black cat on Halloween that escaped from a frat, kept him (against school rules) in our oncampus apartment for a weekend feeding him canned tuna (thank you Mom and grandma!) and put him up for adoption via the campus website. We temporarily even named him "Boo". The Animal Control officer and I are now on a first name basis thanks to my regular calls of stray dogs loose (because I fear for the safety of the "children" supposedly). BTW - I laughed out loud, for real at your fuzzy picture and had my paralegal come running because I was so loud.