Friday, July 22, 2011

The day started well...

...but with an almost-two year old, it's funny how quickly things can change.

It has been sooooo terribly hot this week, that our only time spent outside has been at swim class.  I decided after breakfast, while it was early, that we would go out to play.  Still in our jammies, that's exactly what we did.
Photobucket

Will loves this tricycle.  We dug it out of someone's trash last year and he's finally big enough for it.  He can almost use the pedals, but for now, he uses his feet to move.  And Heaven forbid I try to help him.
Photobucket
His other favorite toy is this bubble mower: his 'mow mow.'  It was a gift from his Aunt Jan and it delights him to no end.
Photobucket

The bubbles never fail to thrill him.
Photobucket

He has the attention span for drawing one short line with the sidewalk chalk.  And that's about it.
Photobucket

The sprinkler wasn't quite the hit I thought it would be.  Although trying hard to get your golf bag wet sure is a good time.
Photobucket

After about 30 minutes I decided it was time to go in.  It was so hot already and I didn't want Will to spend too much time being active in the heat.  I went to close the garage door and noticed his mow mow was in the way.  It took me all of 5 seconds to move it, and in that short time, Will decided to close the door and lock it.

And that, my friends, is how I got locked out of my house on the hottest day of the year.  With Will still inside.  Because that's how we roll.

I spent about 3 minutes checking all the doors and trying to coax Will to turn the lock.  To no avail.  I had no shoes, no keys, no phone.  A neighbor let me use her phone to call Mike, who, thankfully, was at his desk to take my call.  She definitely wiped the phone when I was done with it.  But it's hard to be offended when you come knocking looking like some kind of sweaty homeless chick.

Will and I hung out on opposite sides of the sliding glass door.  He was upset at first, but was soon making smooshy kissy faces and chasing the dog around the table.  Twenty minutes later, Mike was home to let me in.

I may or may not have purchased a Hide-A-Key.  Life is always an adventure with our sweet little boy.  Sigh.

2 comments:

Amy said...

omg! That is awful! Luckily it didn't take too terribly long to get back in! Geez, it was like 10000 degrees here today...I'm always worried about this though. OR my own child locking me out!

Rebecca said...

I cannot imagine being stuck outside in that heat on Friday. Although for the first time EVER, I got stuck waiting in line to get through security at court on Friday morning. Sweat off all my make up, and then for the first time in months they demanded my bar ID even though they see me every week and sometimes twice a week, and it had to be when I was dripping sweat and balancing my bag, files, flip flops and coat and making everyone behind me in the sun more mad for the delay. I feel your pain, although yours was MUCH longer.