Thursday, October 20, 2011

A bed for a big boy

That whole Will-doesn't-climb-out-of-his-crib-unless-I'm-in-the-room thing officially ended the other day when I heard "Mommy!" being called from the top of the stairs.  Will not only climbed out of his crib, but he opened his bedroom door (!), and apparently decided 'nap time' was over.  This threw me for a loop.  While I knew this day was coming, I didn't expect it quite so soon.  And I had NO idea he could open doors.

So instead of taking naps, we went to Target --  for a video monitor, door knob cover, and Yo Gabba Gabba bedding.  I called Mike and told him 'today's the day' and 'be ready to work when you get home.'

That night, we converted Will's crib to a toddler bed.

Photobucket

At bedtime, we read some books, gave some kisses, and placed Will in his bed.  We expected him to climb out in a matter of seconds, but to our surprise, he laid down, and was asleep within minutes.
Photobucket

Yesterday was a different story.

At nap time, he wandered the room, smeared himself with Vaseline that I mistakenly left in the diaper baskets (not sure how I missed that on the video monitor), and fell asleep on the floor in front of the door.

At bed time, he again wandered the room.  He placed approximately 50 books in his bed.  He threw diapers around the room.  He pulled clothes out of his drawers.  About an hour later, he scaled his dresser and began messing with the camera for his monitor.  I went up there, cleared out his bed, put him in it, and gave him a firm 'it's time to sleep.'  He was asleep in 5 minutes.

The above scenario just played out again for nap time today.

Photobucket

I hate that we're doing this transition with him now.  He still seems a bit young and clueless.  But maybe I'm just being dramatic?  Either way, there's no turning back.

No longer a baby.

No comments: