Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Will and sleep

This is Will in his bed at 9:45.  Still awake.  And apparently something is funny. 



There's a simple explanation for why Will is still awake at almost 10 at night: he took a nap that day.

Will has always had a complicated relationship with sleep.  At two years old, it hasn't gotten easier.  If he takes a nap, he doesn't fall asleep before 10:00.  He doesn't nap long - maybe 1.5-2 hours.  I don't let him sleep later than 3:30.  Yet when we kiss him goodnight and close his bedroom door at 8:30 for bedtime, we can expect him to remain awake for at least another hour and a half.

When he doesn't nap he falls asleep quickly and easily.  All signs point to HE DOESN'T NEED A NAP ANYMORE, but I can't quite bring myself to go there.

Regardless of whether or not he naps, we have another tricky problem: he still wakes frequently at night.  I usually hear the thump thump that tells me Will is awake, jumping in his bed at 3 AM.  Sometimes I go to him and remind him that nighttime is for sleeping and I am met with requests for "Miiiiiiiiiilk" and "Tuck me in!"  Other times I just ignore him.

I read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child  when Will was a young infant and followed its advice to the letter, but Will's relationship with sleep could not be more dysfunctional.  So what say you now, Dr. Weissbluth?

Hopefully the next one will be easier.  Speaking of, just two more weeks until we know whether we're having a Violet or a Blake.  Not really.  Mike doesn't like my names :(

2 comments:

Erin said...

Please have a girl so that Mike's choice of Boden is not an option.

Rebecca said...

Wasn't Odin on there too?