Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Three and a half

Almost an entire month ago, we celebrated three and a half years of Will.  photo IMG_9972_zps09fce640.jpg

And I know I say stuff like this all the time, but the fact that this kid is on his way to four blows my mind. I mean, four sounds so old!  photo IMG_9885_zps13a7b19f.jpg

Three and a half is a great many things. It's silly. It's moody. It's generous. It's sweet. It's 'so grumpies.' It's being totally in love with your baby sister. It's egocentric. It's absolutely exhausting.

This is an interesting age for so many reasons.  At three and a half, Will can easily verbalize his thoughts and feelings, yet knowing how and when to act on them is tough.  He's still grasping an understanding of social norms (i.e. Making people laugh can be so fun.  Throwing mulch on random strangers at the playground is not how we make that happen.  Mortifying.)
 photo IMG_9884-2_zps491fbdfb.jpg

I still worry about Will's attention span, or lack there of as the case may be.  He remains largely incapable of independent play, rather he commands an audience.  I think he'd be happy if I remained by his side all day engaging his every move.  This kind of demand of my time and attention is tiring, to say the least.  I think I may keep a tally of every time I hear "Watch this!" throughout the day.

Will has some favorite games.  One is this thing he does with his train table.  He removes some tracks to make his trains go off a 'cliff.'  Anytime he ventures to the playroom, I know that's what he's doing.  Sure enough, about a minute later I'm summoned there 'for a surprise.'  Spoiler alert: the surprise is always trains going off a cliff.

His other favorite thing to do is hide.  He does this often just about everywhere we go.  Sometimes he'll hop off his bike and stand behind a street sign or lamp post.  Other times he hides under a blanket.  I have to act like I'm looking for him and feign surprise every time he emerges, or else he loudly voices his displeasure.
 photo IMG_9888_zpsfaded498.jpg
Mommy, come find me!!

Will is rounding out his first year of preschool.  He has done amazingly well and we are so proud of him.  Although, we did have to have the talk with him:  you know, the 'it's-not-nice-to-ask-your-teacher-why-she-stinks' conversation.  I signed him up for two summer camps, but he is already telling me he doesn't want to be dropped off, so we'll see how that goes.

As for activities, Will is currently taking swim classes and soccer lessons.  He seems to enjoy the accessories more than the actual sports.  Wearing goggles and his soccer shirt (oh, not to mention the lunch I pack in his Spiderman lunchbox to eat on the way to soccer) seem to be his favorite parts.
 photo IMG_9991_zpsea141603.jpg

These goggles rather crack me up.
 photo IMG_9990_zps5dff81d3.jpg

One of the best parts of three and a half are all the hilarious things your kid says.  Without further ado --

Will:  Look, Mommy.  A cock!
Me: A what??!?
Will: A cock right there.
Me: Where?
Will: Flying up there.
Me: Ohhhh... you mean a hawk.
Will: That's what I said.

*****

Me talking with Mike at dinner: Today Will told me his teacher is 'adorable,' but I'm pretty sure he meant horrible.
Mike: That's funny.
Will: Yeah, and I also said she was boring.

*****

Me: I don't want you to get big, I want you to stay little forever.
Will: Who cares?

*****

Will to my breastfeeding friend: Nice boob, Nadine!

*****

Will: Mommy!  Mommy!  Mommy!  Mommy, you hear me??  Excuse me, Mommy.  Mommy!  MOMMY! MOMMY!  MOMMY!  (This continued for about a minute)
Me: *exasperated*  Will!  What is it?
Will: Do you like green beans?
Me: Did you really just interrupt my conversation to ask me if I like green beans?
Will: Well, do you?

*****

Me: Go to timeout.
Will: Are you serious??!?

*****

*Will pushes Amelia over*
Me: Go to timeout. We don't push people.
Will: It's no big deal.

*****

Me: You're so lucky to have such a nice playroom.
Will: It's not that nice.

 photo PIRATES_zps1318a049.jpg
Will at the pirate party we went to last week. I think he's hiding. You better find him or else he'll be really pissed.  

Yes, three and a half has its moments.  But without Will, I wouldn't have my collection of dried up dandelions that he insists on picking for me every time we're outside.  I wouldn't have someone constantly asking thought provoking questions (What do dinosaurs eat?  What is my shirt made of?  How do cars hug?).  I wouldn't have someone keeping me in check (You are not cool).  Also, I wouldn't know what it's like to have such unconditional love because, despite how tough it is at times, this boy loves his Mama.

And I love him back.
 photo IMG_0708-2_zps9cf4a53d.jpg

3 comments:

Christen Sanderson said...

LOVE this post, Carrie! So sweet :) "How do cars hug?" made me laugh so hard! Loved this!

Courtney R said...

OMG -- I was cracking up at this one. Love the quotes. Totally in love with that foot picture too!

Amy said...

Got to love 3 year olds, right? He is hilarious and I swear all of those things happen in our house but the nice boob thing? Hilarious!